The 2014 Italian Open is now complete and two familiar names finished on top: Serena Williams and Novak Djokovic. The next big tournament up on the docket is the French Open at Roland Garros (May 25th).
- Grigor Dimitrov defeated Tommy Haas 6-2 (ret.) Good win for Grigor as it was inevitable after the first set…and a tough break for Tommy who was playing some good tennis.
- All of the other matches in the Quarterfinals went three sets. Nadal beat Murray 1-6; 6-3; 7-5, Djokovic beat Ferrer 7-5; 4-6; 6-3 and Raonic beat Chardy 6-3; 7-5; 6-2. Typical of Novak and Rafa to pull out tough matches against great competitors.
- Novak won again in 3 sets, this time against Milos Raonic, 6-7; 7-6; 6-3. Tough break for Milos, especially seeing that he had a legitimate shot to knock off Novak in the second round. This victory is the epitome of what makes Novak so great though…no matter how bleak a match seems, or how close he may be to losing, he cannot be counted out until the absolute last point.
- Nadal beat Baby Fed 6-2; 6-2. Good run for Grigor, but not a surprising result here. Nadal on clay is just too much for him.
- Novak beat Rafa in three, 4-6; 6-3; 6-3. Another let-down for Rafa, but you can’t really blame anyone for losing to Novak at this point in time. He is just on another planet and is completely relentless, especially in big matches. His last four matches went three sets..two of which he lost the first set. An absolutely marvelous run for him.
- Serena Williams defeated Zhang Shuai 6-1; 6-3, Jelena Jankovic defeated Radwanska 6-4; 6-4, Sara Errani defeated Li Na 6-3; 4-6; 6-2, and Ana Ivanovic defeated Carla Suarez-Navarro 6-4; 3-6; 6-4. Tough day for the Chinese with Shuai failing to upset Serena and Na falling in an upset to the Italian Errani.
- In an odd result, Serena defeated Ivanovic 6-1; 3-6; 6-1. Serena utterly dominated the first set, was nearly completely reversed in the second and then dominated the third set. It shows that Serena is the type of sports legend that has an on/off switch where she can all of a sudden just ramp up her skills to another level when needed.
- With the home crowd behind her, Errani defeated Jankovic 6-3; 7-5. As the last Italian standing, she was playing with a lot of pride and came through in straights.
- Unfortunately for Errani, her run at the Italian Open came to a screeching halt against Serena in the finals. Serena looked nearly unbeatable in what amounted to a 6-3; 6-0 victory. Good for the 10th seeded Errani to make a run in Italy, but she simply ran into a Serena playing great tennis.